Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Let's Eat : Cranberry Everything

I love cranberries. And I confess, I eat and serve them year-round, even without turkey. Fortunately, my family loves them too, so when they show up at a meal everyone is happy.

Bags of frozen cranberries lurk in my freezer, hoarded from the fall harvest. When I pull out a bag and make a simple cranberry relish to go with a roasted chicken, there's never even a trace of that relish left.

 
Dried cranberries are always in the pantry. The kids love to eat those alongside goldfish crackers, something that probably got started with little divided snack containers when they were small. Cranberry juice at breakfast, over ice, is just so good. And cranberry bread, muffins, and cookies...I'm making myself hungry.

In honor of this beautiful berry, I offer several of my favorite cranberry recipes. Please don't buy those  cans of cranberry sauce that are on every available endcap in the grocery store -- most brands are loaded with high fructose corn syrup. Since we don't cook with that ingredient at home, I don't want it on my table (or yours) at Thanksgiving or any other time. Fresh cranberries keep well in the fridge -- way better than most other berries -- just pick through them while you rinse to get any squishy or broken ones out.

Last year Central Market had a little cranberry bog set up in the store where you could fish out some of the floating jewels and get just the right amount. It was kind of cool, but once I started wondering whose hands had tested the water...hmmm...I stuck with the bags.  

I heard this first recipe (which originated with Craig Claiborne) on National Public Radio maybe a dozen years ago and I was instantly so intrigued that I had to try it. It was an instant hit and I make it every year (yes, I post it on facebook every year too). The best part? I can make it in the food processor, in advance, in about 10 minutes!


Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish
  •  2 cups whole raw cranberries, washed
  •  1 small onion, roughly chopped
  •  3/4 cup sour cream (light is okay)
  •  1/2 cup sugar
  •  2 tablespoons horseradish from a jar
Grind the raw berries and onion together. (I use my food processor and just pulse until it's all finely chopped. You do NOT want a puree.) Stir in remaining ingredients, or you can pulse it all together in the food processor. Put into a plastic container and freeze.
 

 


 
Voila!
 
Early Thanksgiving morning, move it from freezer to refrigerator compartment to thaw. Break it up with a fork before serving, so that it's still frozen but slushy. The relish will be thick, creamy, and shocking pink. It is also extremely delicious, whether with turkey or roast beef! Makes 1-1/2 pints.

If you're not up for hot pink hot horseradish relish, then it's even easier to make a delicious "regular" cranberry sauce on the stove. This recipe is on the back of the Ocean Spray fresh cranberry bag, and you can jazz it up with a little orange zest if you like.

Homemade Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 12-ounce bag of whole cranberries, fresh or frozen
Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil; add cranberries and return to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover and cool completely to room temperature. Store in refrigerator. Makes 2 1/4 cups.

Finally, I want to share the most amazing recipe for Cranberry Chess Pie. This pie is SO good. (I also like this particular blog, Back to the Kitchen -- check it out.) The pie is perfect as is, creamy filling topped with tart berries...beautiful AND delicious. More trouble than the relishes above but so worth it. I think I'll make one in a week or so!

I've seen a million craft projects featuring the cranberry -- you can string them into garlands for the tree, use a hazardous hot-glue gun to create a stunning wreath, fill clear vases with the little beauties and use them to hold fresh flowers in place -- but that's not for me. They're definitely pretty; I just prefer not to decorate with my food!


  1. PS -- I haven't seen cranberry preserves in the store, but the closest thing I've found is lingonberry preserves, They're not too sweet, have a beautiful color and remind me just enough of cranberries. I've found them at World Market and IKEA. Yes, IKEA; in the same area where you can buy the meatballs and the chocolate bars. What? They have other stuff besides food?

5 comments:

  1. I am not a cranberry fan although I do enjoy the juice every now and then. Paul has a recipe handed down from his grandmother Latham that he makes every year. It apparently is very good to most people. It's sad because the girls and I don't like it. My mom loves it and of course all of his family does too. He actually has an old fashioned grinder that he uses when he makes it. He also loves craisins. Those I like on a salad. When I think of cranberries I think of the commercial with the 2 guys standing in a whole mess of cranberries in their waders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes! It's unbelievably good -- with turkey, roast beef, on a spoon. The horseradish gives a little heat and the cranberries/sugar make it a little sweet. I never taste the onion much, but I use it. Try it, you'll like it!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Finally -- someone willing to give it a go.
      I hope you LOVE it!

      Delete