Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Mischief, Swarm, Pits, and Rhumba OH MY!

The following is an absolutely true story (depending on who you talk to.)

Several months ago Princess Willa and I heard a disturbance in the bathroom (not farts this time.) We cautiously entered the bathroom and were met with squeaking and rustling sounds. Mice. We had mice.

I called Paul.

We have mice, you need to come home and get them.
I can't come home now, I have a meeting in 10 minutes.
Your life is a series of meetings, they won't notice if you miss one.
Yes, they will.
Oh my gosh, they're rabid mice!
How do you know that?
Because they are talking to each other and one of them said she had a fever and she's not sure why she's drooling so much. You need to come home and get them.
I can't come home now, I have a meeting in 9 minutes and you don't know how to talk to mice.
Tell them you're sick, foam at the mouth a little when you tell them, and I'm not talking to them, I'm listening to them.
I'm not going to foam at the mouth and I'm not coming home.
Oh my gosh, there are rats too!
How do you know?
I just heard the mice welcome the rats, the rats asked how the food was here and the mice told them it was good and plenty - just like the candy.  The mice also told them the cat was lazy and wouldn't bother them but the man of the house was a real stud and they needed to stay clear of him. You need to come home and get all of them. They are all here with their extended families. There are thousands of them! You really need to get home and get them.
I can't come home now, I have a meeting in 8 minutes.
OH NO!
What's wrong now?
It's Uncle Lester, a snake ate him! Uncle Lester was a HUGE rat (I heard his wife nag him about his weight and his diabeetus (say that like Wilford Brimley when you read it) and a snake ate him! We have mice, rats, and snakes now will you come home and get them?
I can't come home now, I have a meeting in 7 minutes.
I hear rattles, it's a rattlesnake. There are several rattlesnakes, it's a rhumba of rattlesnakes!
A rhumba of rattlesnakes?
Yes, I googled it, a crapload of rattlesnakes is called a rhumba. Other snakes (which are also down there I might add) are called den, bed, pit, or nest. So we have rhumbas and pits. You need to come home and get them.
I can't come home now, I have a meeting in 6 minutes.
But we have mischief under the house.
Mischief?
Yeah, a group of mice are called family (ginormous family, like Sly and the Family Stone kinda family), horde, nest, or mischief. I like mischief. Rats are called pack (pack rats?) horde, swarm, or mischief. In summary we have mischief, swarm, pits and rhumba under the house. You need to come home and get them.
I can't come home now, I have a meeting in 5 minutes. Do you think you might be exaggerating a tad?
You've know me for a hundred years, I never exaggerate. I hope we're all still alive when you get home. I can't let the dogs outside because there is a rout of coyotes in the back yard. You need to come home and get them.
You seem to have a lot of time to Google all these terms, I think  you're probably safe. I can't come home now, I have a meeting in 4 minutes.
OK, I hope the  lions, tigers, and bears are gone before you get home.





No comments:

Post a Comment