Thursday, October 10, 2013

Job Search 2013


I’m 52 years old.  Yes, I just said that out loud.  Sort of.  What’s the big deal you ask?  I’m also looking for a job.  Ugh. I have not had a full time job since the early nineties.  Very early nineties.  That really does not make for a killer resume.  I raised my children, took care of my husband when he was ill, and worked as a volunteer.  Things have changed since the last time I looked for work in 1989!

All applications are online now.  No face to face time.  Online is great.  I can complete applications while in my pajamas and eating ice cream.  These applications are ridiculous!  Questions like “Please describe your work in this job.”  Great!  I worked there 10 years.  No problem.  “In 120 characters or less.”  Oh.  How about “I showed up and did what they wanted.”

The applications ask for my dates of employment for each job and they even supply the necessary blanks.  “__/__/____.”  So I enter April 1989 and get the error message that I did not provide a valid date.  I must enter the date of the exact day.  I barely remember that I worked there!  Now I have to remember the exact day!?  Is it odd that on my application I started every job on the 15th and always left on the 30th?  Obviously this is not the best route for me to take.  

Next, I try my luck at my very first job fair.  They are now called “hiring events.”  I get up early, fix my hair, and do my make-up (even the lipstick) and head out to the event.  By the time I actually enter the building, I’m sweating from standing outside in the heat for an hour waiting with the hundred other people who decided to get there early to beat the crowd.
I’ve worked in Human Resources before.  There are lots of those types at job fairs.  I decided to practice by talking to some folks from a hotel chain.  I chat with the young man.  He looks at my resume and sees the Personnel position I had.  He said, “Personnel?”  Me, being pleased that he is interested, “yes.”  “Oh, yeah!  That’s what they used to call Human Resources a long time ago.”  Yes.  Back in the olden days it was Personnel.  My skills include typing (on both manual and electric), using the adding machine, running the mimeograph machine, getting high off that ink, and taking shorthand while sitting on the boss’ lap.  First job fair…not so successful. 

The next job fair must be better, right?  I start by preparing the night before.  Updated resumes are printed, pens in easily accessed purse pocket, and clothes are laid out.  Then, of course, it was time to color my hair.  I chose a new color with, I thought, a little bit of red in it.  Sarah helped me put it on.  A little while later, after letting my hair air dry, Sarah says, “Wow your hair really looks red.”  Yea!  I love a little red in my brown hair!  Off to the mirror to see my beautiful new hair color.  Noooooooo!  It was not a little red.  It was bright, bright magenta.  It was also too late to fix it.  As my friends suggested, I decided to rock that job fair with my new color!

Today, I signed up with an employment agency.  She tells me that I need to do a video resume.  Would I like to go ahead and do that today?  Um, no.  I’m thinking quickly to myself, “I need to color my hair (a reasonable color), buy a new outfit and a new pair of shoes.”  The shoes are not necessary for the resume, but if I have a new outfit, I must have some killer shoes, right?  I’m doing my video resume next week.  We’ll see if the new shoes helped.

I will continue my quest for that perfect job.  Who am I kidding?  I’m looking for anyone who will hire me!!  More job searching adventures to follow.

6 comments:

  1. I love you to pieces Beth... I know the right job will come your way... How about a comedy club... I'll help you write your material... lol... I think you are hysterical... I love you love you love you and your awesome since of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn girl you're already 52? You must have been born in like 1961 or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the same boat on the job hunt but even with recent experience getting nowhere fast. Going back to an old employer to see if they've forgiven me yet. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, Beth!! Literally made me LOL!! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete