Tuesday, October 8, 2013

It's just too complicated

In Sharon’s blog post – “Why Did I Walk in Here?” she talked about walking into a room and wondering why she was there. This happens to me more than I want to admit but I think I have an excuse for it (I can come up with an excuse for almost anything.) I prefer to think that it is not the downward spiral of dementia but instead the complexities of our “modern” world cluttering our brains. It's just too complicated.

For example:


 This is the "control" panel of my new washing machine. I did some research before going to the store to purchase the new washing machine. Here is about how it went:

Salesperson (SP): What features are you looking for in a washing machine?
Me: The feature that washes my clothes.
SP: Well, they all do that. Let me show you a few. This one has 14 different wash cycles, it is smartphone compatible. You can monitor it's energy usage and cycle progress, turn it on and off remotely, and even download new cycles.
Me: I would need more than 14 wash cycles? I want one with a large capacity, where I can turn the dial and push one button. Do you have any of those?
SP: Here is a nice one, with several different cycles and a see through lid.
Me: Why? If I turn the dial, push the button, shouldn't it do what I asked it to do without me having to watch it?
SP: Well, uh. Let's look over here.
Me: OK, I want a washer that washes my clothes. I want one with the fewest buttons. My ancestors pounded their clothes on rocks to get them clean. I think we are entering territory that is far beyond my mental capacity.

In the next decade or more that I have this machine there will be buttons and features that I am completely unaware of and I'm OK with that. It washes the clothes.



This is my TV remote control. It has numerous buttons. You can also hit the shift key and get even more options. I want the option that let's me watch TV. I could literally count on two hands how many of these buttons that I know how to use. The other day I put an exercise DVD in there (shock and awe) and when I wanted to go back to the menu I couldn't figure out how to do it. I had to eject the DVD and start over. It's just too complicated.


This is the display on my car. I love my car. It's a Subaru which translated in English means take care of me and I will never break. I named her Tonks. She is the first totally new car I have had in over 20 years. I plan to drive the wheels off of her. In the next decade or more that I own this car there will be buttons on this control panel and amazing features that I will never know about. Tonks gets me where I need to go so, I'm OK with that.


This is my smartphone. 
 This is my Kindle. I can read books on it.

My laptop.

My tablet

My hubman to charge all this crap.

I can read books on my tablet and my smartphone as well as the Kindle.

Or, I could just read a book by holding it and turning the pages.

These are a pair of my socks I wear to exercise in. If you look closely you will see an L and an R. That means the one with the L goes on the left foot; the one with the R goes on the right foot. I actually own socks that it matters which foot I put them on. You might ask why I have stupid socks like this but that is another story for another time. I'm still too bitter about it. Even my socks are complicated.
This is Dobby. He has his bone and he's about to take a nap. He doesn't have to wash clothes, drive, watch TV, figure out how to use his phone, tablet, or laptop. He doesn't have to wear socks. He has his bone. He's happy. Life is good. Life is uncomplicated.

So, next time you have thoughts that you might just be losing it - remember the constant barrage of technology in everything you do. It might be you're not crazy. It might be it's just too complicated.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. To post this I had to submit to a "prove you're not a robot" page. A perfect right of passage to comment on your blog post.

      Delete
    2. At least it wasn't too complicated!

      Delete